Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Heavy Rotation: Mumford & Sons

Late last year, I kept hearing a song on the radio and I just could not get enough of it. After a while, I finally found out who was singing it and promptly began scanning radio stations whenever I was in the car in the hopes that I would hear it again.

The song was Little Lion Man, by a British band called Mumford & Sons. The song wasn’t like anything I had heard on the radio for a long time (mostly because I listen to the commercial stations – I know, shame on me, Triple J is SO much cooler blah blah blah). It was a little bit rock, a little bit bluesy, a little bit folksy and a complete earworm that would be stuck in my head all day. Then, in January I started hearing this song, and I instantly recognized the singer’s voice. The song was called The Cave and I loved it. Suddenly I started seeing the music video for it at the gym every time I was on the treadmill, and I was totally hooked. Besides trying to figure out where the clip was filmed (some sources are saying it’s in Goa), I couldn’t get that melody out of my head. So, I did something I haven’t done in a really long time – I went into a shop and I purchased an ACTUAL CD. I know, who knew they even made those crazy compact discs anymore?

I’ll give you, people of the downloading generation, a moment to stop and take that information in.

Without further ado, may I introduce you to the album Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons.

There’s something about lead singer Marcus Mumford’s voice that is so appealing – it’s raw, honest and completely passionate, and coupled with the old-time sound they incorporate into their fast and funky or slow and soulful songs, their music is instantly unforgettable.


While my favourites are the aforementioned Little Lion Man and The Cave, I also love Winter Winds and Timshel is just achingly beautiful. The whole album is a great mix of modern folk and old-time ballads, and it’s on heavy rotation in my car at the moment (and will be for a while I suspect). I can’t recommend it highly enough – it’s the kind of music that makes your heart sing.


Plus, it has banjo. Who doesn’t love a freaking banjo??



Pin It

1 comment:

Amy Johnson said...

I love The Cave too! Those lyrics caught me on a particularly reflective day, and it's since become one of my all-time favourite songs. "Cause I need freedom now, And I need to know how, To live my life as it's meant to be." Perfection