Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Glee Highlights - Season 2, Episode 19: Rumors

So....I've never been a huge Fleetwood Mac fan. I don't know why. I don't dislike them, I just don't LOVE them. So when I found out it was a whole episode of Fleetwood Mac I was ambivalent. But they sold me. I knew most of the songs, I think maybe one or two I didn't, but I really enjoyed the music. The storyline? Felt a little all over the place, but I think that had more to do with the craziness of all the rumors flying around. The energy of the characters definitely felt very...teenager-y, so kudos to them for making me feel like I was back in high school. I had forgotten how simultaneously gullible and self-righteous teenagers are.

Let's get stuck into it, shall we?

Fondue for Two
Don't lie. You would totally watch this every week - especially the episode where they dip raw meat in chocolate. Yum. She's got nothing on iCarly.

Sue incognito
Does anyone else want to see Sue do a David Bowie number now? Maybe a whole Broadway tribute? No? Just me then? Okay.

Oh, and giving the barista Euros? So amusing. I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

The Muckrakers
Worst. Journalists. Ever. Although Sue's plan kind of worked. The New Directions did kind of go all spazzy over the blind items. I wish my high school would have had blind items. Although I suspect they would have been fairly boring: "Who got caught without their blazer on at the train station? Someone's going to suffering through a detention next week!" Riveting, I'm sure. Unless we could have gotten some dirt on the nuns. That would have been scandalous fo' sho'.

April Rhodes
I feel like they're only going to trot her out now to try and convince Will to help her out/come to New York/have a sleazy one night stand with, etc. It was great to hear her sing, but mostly I just loved the whole retro look she had going on here. I wish my hair would do that when I put a scarf in it. Mostly I look like I'm recovering from an unfortunate hair cutting incident.

Artie and Brittany break up
A really nice scene. Good work from Heather Morrison - such a simple line, but the emotion was perfect. I felt like this was inevitable, which is disappointing, because I thought they were cute together.

Never Going Back Again
And it gave us this fantastic number. This is one of the songs I wasn't super familiar with, but I just loved it - particularly the way it built up with all the acoustic guitars. I am a sucker for some acoustic guitar.

Rachel and Finn
Rachel, honey, stop. The desperation is too much. I can't take it anymore. You can do SO MUCH BETTER THAN HIM. Seriously, am I right or am I right?

Songbird
What did everyone think of this version of Songbird? To be honest, it did fit the scene nicely, so I see why Santana sang it, but honestly, I think it would have suited Lea Michele's soft voice a lot better. I found Naya Rivera kind of weak at times on the higher notes. Interesting how she can sing to Brittany about her feelings, but she still ain't admitting it to anyone. Except him. He's just part of the furniture, you know.

I Don't Want To Know
I love how this song was basically a giant fuck you to each other. And everyone could totally tell. Feisty!

Lord Tubbington
I cannot BELIEVE he started smoking again. How could he lie to Brittany about that?

Go Your Own Way
Rachel was totally having cheer sex with Finn during this song. So obvious, girlfriend.

Cocktail hour
I bet you they had to go to the toilet a LOT after drinking those cocktails with all that protein in them. 

Sam is Poor.
Well, I hope those bitches are happy with themselves. Sam is Poor and he is living in a motel and they totally made him CRY. Well done.

Don't Stop
This final number was so good! Not my favourite song in the world, but I just love these high energy, big finish numbers. Well done, New Directions, you've redeemed yourselves. 

For now.......



Pin It

7 comments:

Dee said...

Noooooo, Finn can do better than Rachel. He's not much chop but she has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm finding myself just fast forwarding through all of her songs lately - I can't stand her wobbly, mannered Barbara impersonation.

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Dee, I find Finn to be the irritating one. He's flip flopping back and forth between Rachel and Quinn almost constantly and it's getting so dull!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

great review!! Sue's entire David Bowie, incognito scene was gold! I'm still laughing now. & I would totally watch fondue for two every week :)
Heidi xo

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Heidi - Fondue for Two would be mandatory viewing in my house. I love Brittany. I'm so glad they've given her a bigger role!

Hannah said...

Love the review! yep, Heather Morrison played that beautifully :) And I am SO sick of Finn's grass-is-always-greener act!

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Hannah, that's the perfect way to describe Finn at the moment. I think both girls should dump him ASAP!

Pamela said...

I just watched this on my DVR last night. I actually really like Fleetwood Mac and was happy that an entire episode was devoted to them.

At first, I did not like Brittany, but now I think she's a crack-up!

Pamela (aminia on twitter--you commented on my tweet!)