Monday, May 16, 2011

Fancy China

We've been using the ivory and gold Mikasa dinner setting I inherited from my grandmother whenever we have guests over, and while I love it, I wanted something a little bit more colourful and less precious to use for dinners that aren't super formal. Not that we have formal dinners at our house where everyone wears tuxedos and evening gowns and costume jewellry - but how awesome would that be?

So when I spotted this dining set at Myer a couple of weeks ago I fell in love with it. The colours suit our house perfectly, and although is was a bit feminine for my husband, he caved in and said he would be happy to use it as our guest China (there may or may not have been a coversation that involved me saying that I can't live in a house full of neutral tones without COLOUR).


Maxwell & Williams Kimono setting

Also, we needed one that was microwave and dishwasher friendly. Because handwashing all that bone China after having guests over when you're tired is a recipe for disaster.

I love it. Pin It

4 comments:

Kate said...

it's gorgeous Julia - nice choice...
Very pretty but not too much fanciness and classy as well.

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Thanks Kate! Yes, I needed something with a pattern, and while I'm not really a floral person, I loved the Asian flavour of it (Bernard did too thank goodness).

It will look really nice on our table.

Melanie B said...

Any time you want a fancy scmancy dinner with ball gowns and tuxes I'll be there! I inherited some costume jewelry from my grandmother, a ring, that never sees the light of day. Perhaps a Phryne Fisher inspired night?

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Melanie - good idea! I would love an excuse to make fancy cocktails and swan around in a vintage evening gown. I think I would also need a cigarette holder and a jewlled turban as well. Just because.