Thursday, September 1, 2011

Heavy Rotation - Glee: The Music Presents The Warblers

It's no secret I enjoy bopping along to the Glee soundtracks in my car. They're just so damned addictive! So when I saw this CD had been released, I was all over it like a rash.

Like A RASH, I tell you.

The Dalton Academy Warblers.


The compliation starts off with Teenage Dream, the Katy Perry song that made The Warblers leap off the screen with their energy, followed smoothly by a plucky,folksy version of Train's Hey Soul Sister. Both of these songs were not my favourite when I heard the original versions on the radio. Warbler-ify them though? I can't get enough!

The Destiny's Child debut song Bills, Bills, Bills is a smooth but poppy number, and following it with Paul McCartney's Silly Love Songs is a nice break in tempo before the album kicks back into high gear with Robin Thicke's When I Get You Alone and Neon Trees' Animal.

Chris Colfer's version of The Beatles' Blackbird is short and pretty, and his duet with Darren Criss on the Hey Monday song Candles is one of the best songs on the album. The fist pumpingly good cover of Pink's Raise Your Glass is something you can't help but tap your foot to, and Maroon 5's Misery is also featured, continuing the party-like musical atmosphere.

Disappointingly short, this album finishes with Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, which is one of my least favourite songs in the world, and doesn't do the prior 12 songs justice as a finale (it makes me think of overweight, sweaty, drunk men at an over 28s nightclub).

But it's the third to last song that blew me away. The Warbler's cover of Keane's ballad Somewhere Only We Know is the standout number on the album. It's beautifully done, full of love and happiness, and the melody is just stunningly perfect. It's easily the best song on the album, and the best song The Warblers have sung.

This album is full of a capella crack, and a lot of the time you don't even realise there isn't a musical instrument to be found in an entire song. The vocal arrangements and quick, snappy melodies aren't used to try and rewrite the songs. They're simply used as a new way of performing happy, upbeat music, and I can't get enough of it.

In a word: great Pin It

No comments: