Thursday, September 22, 2011

Glee Highlights: Season Three, Episode One - The Purple Piano Project

Finally, there's something on free-to-air TV again! Although Glee now clashes with Spicks and Specks and The Gruen Transfer, but whatever. First of all, I must say two things. HOW could they get rid of Sam and THANK GOODNESS Lauren Zizes has gotten the boot. 

Okay, the highlights.

First of all, Jacob Ben Israel's 'news' about everyone's Summer holidays may be the greatest thing ever.
I mean, describing Finn as the New Directions' "mediocre" lead singer to his face was hilarious.

Brittany's Time Machine
I wonder how she found the time to work on it, what with Fondue For Two and all.

Quinn the Bad Girl
This whole scene reeked of Quinn trying too hard. I found it amusing that she's suddenly this bad ass with pink hair, Lady Ga Ga glasses and cigarettes that she barely inhales, but really, Quinn. Give it up. A bad girl you are not.

We Got The Beat
Yeah....I really wasn't feeling this number. Particularly the annoying amount of gratuitous ass shots of Santana and Brittany - was that really necessary? Also, my husband had issues with how quickly they were able to get the band set up in there with their equipment, especially the plugged in amps. But that's really the tip of the iceberg for his issues with Glee on the whole. Still, he's a gem for sitting through it with me.

Sugar Motta
Besides the fact that her name sounds like a mobster's hooker on the side, was this not the most cringe inducing rendition of Big Spender you have ever heard? I can't decide if I was amused by her character or irritated at her "self-diagnosed aspergers." Because that shit could old really fast. Although I did love the way Rachel kicked Mr Schue's chair and hissed "MrShuestoptalking!" when her audition was over. Classic Rachel Berry.

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead
This was adorably twee and I loved it. That is all.

Glitterbomb
Lamest attempt at a viral video sensation ever.

It's Not Unusual
This was fabulously retro and I loved it. That is all.

New "Rival" Harmony 
This girl is one of The Glee Project runners up. Are we really supposed to believe that she can hold a note higher and longer than Rachel and Kurt? Bitch, please.

Santana's Out
So...no one saw Quinn flick the cigarette that lit the piano on fire? Surely that wasn't a coincidence. Although nice to see Mr Schue actually act like a teacher and dole out a punishment. But I really hope this doesn't mean Santana won't be singing anymore because the girl is awesome.

You Can't Stop The Beat
Ah, that's the Glee I know. And look at that, Mercedes actually got to sing! Maybe they've remembered how gorgeous her voice is.

So, what did you all think of the episode?


Pin It

8 comments:

Nat said...

Didn't think it was the strongest episode but thank god it's back. LOVED It's Not Unusual.

Hannah said...

Honestly? Blah. It felt really tired to me. The same plot, conflicts, stories, dynamics... I was actually really disappointed and slightly bored, which made me a bit sad inside :( However, that aside, I loved Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead, and anything with Darren Criss is going to make me go 'squee!'. He may not know it yet, but Mr Criss will be mine. Oh how he will be mine.

Sharon said...

I'm with Hannah - it felt very meh to me. I was pretty bored and rolling my eyes the whole time. It felt like it took FOREVER for there to be a musical number (15 minutes, by my count), which was frustrating. I loved "It's Not Unusual" and "You Can't Stop the Beat." Those were fabulous. When the last song started, I was pissed off that Rachel was getting the solo AGAIN, but thank jeebus Mercedes got to belt it out a bit. I'm so over it being the Rachel show - there are SO many other extremely talented singers that deserve some focus.

Anyway, despite my frustrations and complaining, I'll probably watch until the bitter end, but it's just not as fun as it used to be. *sigh* Oh well!

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Nat, It's Not Unusual was the highlight of the episode. I loved how it went from awesome singing and dancing to everyone staring in horror at the piano bursting into flames!

Hannah, I think it started out a little bit flat too. I'm hoping it gets better though!

Sharon, I know, I really hope Mercedes gets a LOT more solos this year - that was one of their biggest mistakes last year I think.

Dee said...

I agree with Sharon - less Rachel, more Mercedes and Santana, please. I can't stand her overly-mannered dramatics when she sings.

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

Dee, I really hope we get a lot more Mercedes this year. I feel sure we'll get lots of Santana, but I think Mercedes has been so overlooked.

Miss Vodka said...

Glee <3 love it.

Thanks for the travel tips on my blog :)

Julia @ Boredom Abounds said...

No worries Miss Vodka - I'm always happy to indulge in some travel planning with others!